Thursday, October 21, 2010

WORDS RETURN TO REMIND ME OF WHO I AM.

This week I found a written speech I had given following my ordination as a deacon in 1964.

Here are some excerpts.

After thanking my family and home parish (St. Nicholas', Torbay, Newfoundland), I wrote ...

'I am looking forward to my work as an ordained person in God's Church. I look forward to this work with mixed feelings. Happy, that to a small degree, I may be able to forward the work of God's Kingdom; fearful, because of my many shortcomings as a human being; joyful, because I can help people when they are in need, yet cautious because mine may not always be the correct solution to their problem; content, with the many things I have and will have; uneasy about future unknowns; and, honoured that God called me to this holy work, yet conscious of my unworthiness to perform such sacred acts'.

'I begin with the firm conviction that a strong faith in God will, in the end, turn unworthiness into acceptance, fears into hopes and sadness into joy. I ask for your prayers'.

'There are two types of ministries within the Church - the ministry of the laity and the ministry of the clergy. Every Christian is a member of a ministry. The laity, as well as the clergy, have to present Christianity to the world. All Christians are responsible for making Christ known to all people, everywhere. When this work is left only to the clergy, the laity are not performing their true function. If we forget the duty we have to teach the world about Jesus Christ, by word and deed, the Church will fail, and it will be the fault of all who call themselves Christians'.

I was 23 years old when I wrote these words.

I could have written similar words 42 years later when I retired.

I can espouse the same message today.

I believe what I wrote then and these words became the foundation upon which I built my philosophy of ministry - faith in God, a strong commitment to lay ministry and being a people person.

That MOSS sure stuck to this ROLLING STONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment